show menu options

Returning to my country of origin

Last updated: 1/3/2023, 10:15 AM

If you are denied a residence permit by the Dutch government, it is important to think about your future. We understand that this is not easy. You can talk to VluchtelingenWerk Nederland about a possible return. Or to another organization that offers return support.

Return support

You decide whether or not you want to return. VluchtelingenWerk (VWN) considers some countries unsafe to return to and does not provide support for your return. However, we can refer you to organizations that do assist in returning to those countries.

If you return independently to your country of origin, you can receive support. This support may consist of a product, service or financial contribution. For example, a starting amount to start your own store and/or help in writing a business plan. Whether you receive support and what you are entitled to depends on each person and country.

Forced return

If your asylum application has been rejected, the government agency the Repatriation and Departure Service (DTundefinedV) will contact you about departure to your country of origin. This does not mean that you must leave the Netherlands immediately.

If your lawyer has appealed the Immigration and Naturalisation Serviceundefineds (IND) ruling, you may often wait in the Netherlands for the judgeundefineds decision. Check with your supervisor at VluchtelingenWerk Nederland about your shelter situation.

Please note: if you do not choose to return independently, but are forcibly removed, you will not receive support from the Dutch government. VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN) has no influence on this.

This is how VluchtelingenWerk helps with your return:

This content is hosted by a third party ( Because you declined to accept cookies we are only able to link you to YouTube itself instead of embedding it in our website: