go back

Welcome to the Netherlands. On this page, you will find information about the topics that are most frequently asked about on RefugeeHelp. This page will be updated monthly with the most relevant topics.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Did you flee Ukraine but do you not have the Ukrainian citizenship? Then many rules are different. Here you can read about important topics you may have to deal with.

When am I eligible for Temporary Protection in the Netherlands?

You are eligible for Temporary Protection if:

  • You had international protection in Ukraine on February 23, 2022, for example as a recognized refugee. You are also entitled to Temporary Protection if you had another form of temporary (national) protection in Ukraine because you are not safe in your country of origin.

  • You had a valid permanent Ukrainian residence permit on 23 February 2022 and did not leave Ukraine before 26 November 2021 and did not return to your home country before 23 February 2022.

  • You had a valid temporary Ukrainian residence permit on February 23, 2022 (e.g. for work or study) and you were registered with a Dutch municipality before July 19, 2022.

  • You are a partner, an unmarried child under 18, or cohabiting relative of someone who has Temporary Protection.

You arenot eligible for Temporary Protection if:

  • You have a temporary Ukrainian residence permit (e.g. for work or study) and are not registered with a Dutch municipality before July 19, 2022.

  • You do not have sufficient documents to prove that you are under Temporary Protection.

It is unclear whether I am eligible for Temporary Protection

Is it unclear whether you are eligible for Temporary Protection? Then the municipality will arrange for you to get an appointment with the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).

The IND will then have a conversation with you. Based on your documents, the IND will determine whether you will receive protection in the Netherlands. Therefore, it is important to bring all your documents with you to your appointment with the IND. Until the time of your interview, you can stay in a shelter in a municipality.

Are you within the target group of Temporary Protection, but do you not have sufficient documents?

If so, try to obtain additional documents or supporting evidence of your stay in Ukraine or your relationship with a Ukrainian. Examples include:

  • Marriage license

  • Residence papers

 Take these documents with you to your appointment with the IND. After the interview, the IND will decide whether or not you qualify for Temporary Protection.

Do you get Temporary Protection afterwards?

This means that you can stay in the Netherlands as long as Ukrainians are allowed to. You have the right to shelter, work, health care, and children have the right to education. This lasts at least until March 4, 2023, and can be extended until no later than March 4, 2025.

If the IND decides that you are not eligible for Temporary Protection, you will not be eligible for residence in the Netherlands, shelter and other provisions. It is important to know that you can only stay in the Netherlands on legally established grounds for residence.

You are eligible for Temporary Protection if:

Are you not eligible for Temporary Protection in the Netherlands? Depending on your situation, there are several options you can explore, such as:

  • Applying for asylum

  • Applying for a 'regular' residence permit

  • Returning to your country of origin

Below, you will read what every possibility entails:

Asylum procedure

As a refugee, you can get protection in the Netherlands. To do so, you must apply for asylum. If you do, you must prove that you are in danger in your country of origin and meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • You fear persecution because of your race, religion, nationality, political beliefs or because you belong to a particular social group.

  • You are afraid of the death penalty, torture or some other kind of inhumane treatment in your own country.

  • You are afraid of becoming a victim of acts of violence due to war in your country of origin.

Regular Procedure

Other residence permits also exist in the Netherlands, for example for study or work. These are called regular permits. For both work and study, in most cases applying for a visa can only be done in the country of origin. Which means you will have to return to your country of origin first. In addition, there are conditions for documents and financing.

  • Study visa: To pursue a Dutch education, you can apply for a study visa at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin. Please note: only an educational institution recognized by the IND can apply for a residence visa for you.

  • Work visa: If you want to work in the Netherlands as an employee, you need a combined residence and work permit. You and your employer can apply for a work visa for the Netherlands at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin.

  • Other residence permits: In addition to the above residence permit, there are other residence permits, such as residence on medical grounds or a permit to stay with (Dutch) partner or other family members.

Return to your country of origin

Do you want to return to your country of origin or move to a different country? If so, you can contact the International Organization for Migration (IOM) by calling 088-7464466.

You will then be referred to one of the IOM consultation locations or consultants in the country. The IOM provides information and advice. They will help you get the right travel documents and a plane ticket. You will be given money for shelter in the first few days. In some cases there is the possibility of additional financial support.

Return to Ukraine

Is your residence permit in Ukraine still valid and do you want to return to Ukraine? If so, you can decide to return on your own, or you can ask for return assistance from the Dienst Terugkeer en Vertrek (Repatriation and Departure Service).