Hotline support
go back

Welcome to the Netherlands. On this page, you will find information about the topics that are most frequently asked about on RefugeeHelp. This page will be updated monthly with the most relevant topics.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Thursday, December 22, 2022

Here you will find information on how to register in the BRP (Personal Records Database). How to do so depends on your situation:

  • BRP Registration for Ukrainians

  • Registration BRP for refugees with a different nationality

  • BRP registration without documents

What is the BRP (Personal Records Database)?

Your personal data are kept in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). When you marry, have a child or change residence, the municipality records this. You register in the BRP in the municipality where you are living. If you move to another municipality, your personal data move with you.

Please note that you cannot register in the BRP if you have already done so in another EU country. You must deregister first before you can register in the Netherlands.

BSN (citizen service number)

The citizen service number (BSN) is your own personal number for contact with the government. For example, for healthcare or taxes. You get a BSN when you register in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). You also need this, for example, if you are going to work. When you start working, you give your BSN to your employer.

Everyone who registers for the first time in the BRP is given a citizen service number (BSN). You will need this, for example, if you are going to work. When you start working, you will pass on your BSN to your employer.


Once you have received your BSN, you can apply for a DigiD. With a DigiD, you can show online who you are. You need this if you want to arrange online business with the government. More information about applying for a DigiD can be found on the website of DigiD.

BRP Registration for Ukrainians

It is important that you register in the BRP. You do this in the municipality in which you are staying. This also applies to people who are not in an emergency shelter, but are staying somewhere else. This registration is possible for persons who can prove with identification that they have Ukrainian nationality. Ukrainians without (or with incomplete) papers must first go to the Ukrainian embassy in The Hague (see 'Registration without identification' below)

For more information on registration in the BRP, you can find information brochures in Ukrainian and English on the website of the Dutch government.

Registration BRP without Ukrainian nationality

As of July 19, 2022, it is no longer possible to register in the BRP if you had a temporary residence permit in Ukraine. Non-Ukrainian refugees who were refugees acknowledged by Ukraine on February 23, 2022, or who had a valid permanent residence permit in Ukraine on February 23, 2022, can still register in the BRP.

You can register only if you have identity documents and can prove with documents that you had a residence permit in Ukraine that was still valid on February 23, 2022. If you are unable to obtain proof of identity, you will be referred to the registration desk in Ter Apel.

If it is not clear whether you are covered by the Temporary Protection Directive, the IND will look into it. The IND may then decide that you fall under the directive. In that case, you can register in the BRP. If the IND decides you are not covered by the directive, you must return to your country of origin or apply for asylum at the application center in Ter Apel. In the latter case, the IND will register you at the application center in Ter Apel.

Registration without documents

The Ukrainian Embassy in The Hague issues a certificate of identification if you do not have an identification document or passport. This applies only if you have Ukrainian nationality. With this certificate you can register at the municipality. Children without an identification certificate can be registered with their parents in the BRP at the municipality. In the absence of documents, parents can make a declaration under oath establishing the identity of the children. The children are then registered by the municipality. For frequently asked questions, please visit the website of the government.

Address: Ukrainian Embassy: Zeestraat 78, 2518 AD The Hague. Open from Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 13:00. Telephone: +31 (70) 360 72 18 Email:

Doubts about documents

The municipality checks whether you have the right documents to register. If there is any doubt, the municipality will contact the IND. There may be an additional investigation to make sure who you are and where you come from. If this investigation is ongoing, you cannot register with the municipality. Not even if your family members do have Ukrainian nationality.

Registering without a residential address

If you do not have a residential address of your own where you can register, the municipality must register you at a postal address (mailing address). This is an address where the government can reach someone without a residential address. For example, this could be the address of the municipal office. Please contact your municipality to find out what the options are.

Registration of newborn babies

Within three days after the birth of a child, you have to report this to the municipality. After registration you will receive a birth certificate. Click on the link below for all the information on registering a newborn baby (Dutch and English).