go back

Governmental and private housing initiatives, for refugees

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, August 3, 2022

You may wish to leave your host family or municipal shelter for various reasons. This page shows the possibilities and the steps you need to take.

I do not feel safe at my host family

Are you in immediate danger? Call 112. If you do not feel safe in your host family you can contact a support organisation. You can find the right organisation for your situation on our page Safety. They offer assistance, information, mediation and more. If you have doubts you can always contact the Veilig Thuis (Safe at home) helpline: 0800-2000. In addition, you can always report to a municipal shelter if you no longer want to stay with your host family.

I want to leave my municipal shelter

Do you want to leave or change your reception location? That is possible. Contact your municipality to discuss the options. When you change municipalities, it is important that you re-register with the new municipality so that they can update your details in the BRP. When you move from a host family to a municipal shelter, your right to the extra allowance in the living expenses becomes null and void. It is also wise to inform both municipalities of your move. If you leave the municipal shelter without notifying the municipality, your living allowance will be terminated. See the Handreiking GOO (Guide to GOO) from the Dutch government for more information.

I want to leave my host household

It can happen that you don't want to live anymore with your host family. Because of the lack of housing in the Netherlands, for many refugees from Ukraine renting an appartment is often not an option. Because of this most refugees stay at a shelter or a host family. Would you like to switch host families, then contact RefugeeHomeNL. Would you like more information about RefugeeHomeNL? Check the page Staying with a host family (screened) or the website of RefugeeHomeNL.

I want to live on my own

If you fall under the Temporary Protection Directive, it is possible to rent accommodation independently, but this is very difficult. Refugees have to reckon with long waiting times, high rents and high demands from private landlords. It is only possible for refugees from Ukraine to rent via private landlords in the Netherlands. Would you like more information about renting a house independently? Then look at the page Permanent housing.

Consequences for receiving living allowance

As a refugee from Ukraine, you will receive living allowance when you stay at a shelter location, both in the municipal shelter and in the private shelter. If you rent your own independent accommodation, you are no longer entitled to living allowance.