Hotline support
go back

Last updated: 3/6/2023, 3:28 PM

Published at: 12/8/2022, 11:57 AM

Information about the IND letter 

Have you received a letter from the IND stating that you must leave the Netherlands after March 4, 2023? This article briefly explains what that means exactly and what options you have.

The IND will send a letter if, according to its information, you had a temporary residence permit in Ukraine. On July 19, it was announced that this means you are no longer under Temporary Protection after March 4, 2023. The letter was sent between Nov. 25 and Dec. 1 to the address at which you are registered. You may also have received the letter digitally via MijnOverheid.

If you did not receive a letter then you have:

  • A permanent residence permit, or:

  • An asylum permit or comparable (temporary) national protection, or:

  • A family with someone who is still covered after March 4, 2023.

If any of these conditions apply according to the IND data, you won't get a letter right now. You are still allowed to stay under the directive in the above cases after March 4, 2023. A letter will be sent at a later date with more information about the right of residence in the Netherlands.

Assistance with returning From November 15, 2022 to February 1, 2023, you can receive guidance and financial assistance from the Repatriation & Departure Service (DT&V). However, you must meet a number of conditions. You can read more about this in this article and news item. You will also find information on the DT&V website. If you do not meet the conditions for this arrangement from the DT&V, you can get help from the International Organization for Migration.

Remaining in the Netherlands Do you have information showing that you would still be covered under the directive after March 4, 2023? Then send a copy of proof to the IND within 2 weeks after you received the IND letter. Examples of proof can be found in the IND letter. Do you want to follow the regular asylum procedure after March 4, 2023? Then the IND will assess whether you are entitled to an asylum permit. You can wait for the decision on your application for asylum in the Netherlands. You will then receive accommodation at the Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA). Look for the conditions and procedure at Making a decision can be difficult. Vluchtelingenwerk Nederland (VWN) can help you with this. Visit a location near you for a consultation hour.

Share this news article on social media