Hotline support

Leaving your host family or shelter

Last updated: 3/9/2023, 4:17 AM

You may wish to leave your host family or municipal shelter for various reasons. This page shows the possibilities and the steps you need to take.

I do not feel safe at my host family

Are you in immediate danger? Call 112.

If you do not feel safe with your host family, you can contact an aid organisation. Aid organisations offer assistance, information, mediation and more. Not sure which organisation can help you? Call the helpline of Veilig Thuis at (0800) 20 00.

You can always report to the municipal reception if you no longer want to live with your host family.

I want to leave my municipal shelter

Want to change shelter locations or leave your shelter? That is possible. Please contact your municipality to discuss your options.

Are you moving to another municipality? Register with the new municipality. The municipality will update your details in the Dutch population register (BRP). You also have to inform the municipality if you change your address within the municipality where you already reside.

please note: Your right to living allowance will be terminated altogether if you leave the municipal shelter without letting the municipality know. See theHandreiking GOO from the Dutch government for more information.

I want to leave my host household

Donundefinedt want to live with your current host family anymore? No problem. It is possible to look for a new host family, or apply for municipal shelter. Discuss the possibilities for this with the municipality in which you reside.

Please note: Are you moving from a host family to a municipal shelter? This means you are no longer entitled to the extra allowance in the living allowance. In this case you must inform the municipality of a change of address too.