go back

Did you just arrive in the Netherlands and are you wondering how to navigate legal procedures? These resources can help you with topics like asylum procedures, requesting a visa, legal support and assistance in case you wish to return to your country of origin.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Friday, September 16, 2022

Refugees from Ukraine fall under special rules: the Temporary Protection. They do not have to apply for asylum immediately if they come from Ukraine. They go through the following steps:

  1. Register in the BRP (Personal Records Database) at your local municipality.

  2. Register IND (Immigration and Naturalization Service).

  3. Asylum procedure.

Please note: Only share your information with authorities, not intermediaries. Be careful when you're being approached by other individuals asking for your personal information.

Please note that until mid-October, it is not possible to pick up a residence sticker. For more information, check out our latest updates.

Who is covered by Temporary Protection?

Refugees from Ukraine fall under special rules, called the Temporary Protection Directive. They can register in the BRP of the municipality where they are (temporarily) staying. The Directive gives the right to reception, health care and education for minor children in the Netherlands. And it gives the possibility to work. The special rules for refugees from Ukraine apply to the following groups:

  1. Ukrainians who resided in Ukraine on 23 February;

  2. Ukrainians who left Ukraine on or after 27 November 2021;

  3. Ukrainians who can prove that they were already in the Netherlands before 27 November 2021 and not in another EU country;

  4. People of other nationalities who, on 23 February 2022, were refugees recognised by Ukraine;

  5. People with other nationalities who held a valid, permanent Ukrainian residence permit on 23 February 2022 and who did not: leave Ukraine by 27 November 2021 or returned to the country of origin by 23 February 2022;

  6. The partners, under-aged children and dependent relatives of persons covered by the regulation.

Please note: since 19 July, people of other nationalities who held a valid temporary Ukrainian residence permit on 23 February 2022 are no longer covered by the Temporary Protection Directive.

This is evident from the website of the IND

How long does the temporary protection directive last?

The government has announced that refugees from Ukraine who are registered with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) may stay in the Netherlands until at least 4 March 2023. This may be extended to a maximum of 3 years. For refugees from Ukraine with another nationality who had a temporary residence permit in Ukraine and who registered in the BRP before 19 July 2022, their temporary protection ends on 4 March 2023.

It is now possible to make an appointment for registration with the IND. Make an appointment via the homepage of this website RefugeeHelp. Check the page about making an appointment for more information.

What if you do not fall under the Temporary Protection?

If a refugee with a different nationality does not fall under the Temporary Protection, that person has two options:

  • Return to country of origin

  • Applying for a regular asylum permit.

Pay attention: you can only do this after the IND has decided that refugees with a different nationality than Ukrainian do not fall under the Temporary Protection.

Temporary Protection in several countries

Refugees from Ukraine can enjoy temporary protection in only one European country. This is the country in which you are currently registered. If you want to go to another country, check carefully whether you fall under the rules for temporary protection there. If this is the case, you can move to that country within the European Union, register there, and enjoy temporary protection. In that case, contact the municipality where you are staying to let them know that you are leaving the Netherlands. You will then be deregistered there.