Hotline support
go back

Do you have questions about travelling within the Netherlands or Europe? On this page you will find information about travelling to the Netherlands, the public transport system within the Netherlands, cars and help with returning to your own country.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Friday, February 3, 2023

Below you can find an overview of the most important information about travelling and transport.

Travel refund for picking up proof of residence

If you are going to pick up your proof of residence at one of the IND pick-up locations, you may be using public transportation or a car. If you do not have a job, you can reclaim travel expenses through the municipality in which you are staying. To do this, you must be registered in the BRP. How you can apply for a refund of travel expenses varies by municipality. For more information on travel reimbursement, contact the municipality in which you are staying.

For more information on travel refunds, contact the municipality in which you are staying.

Travelling to & from the Netherlands

It is possible to travel for free or at a reduced rate within Europe and thus also to travel to the Netherlands. There are a number of organisations that can help you travel to the Netherlands. For more information, check the subcategory Tips for travelling to & from the Netherlands.

Travelling within the Netherlands

In the Netherlands, there are a number of possibilities for refugees to travel by public transport. Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you may travel free of charge on NS trains, under certain conditions. From the 1st of June, you may no longer travel free of charge through the Netherlands on other public transport. You must purchase a valid ticket, such as an OV-chipkaart, in order to travel on public transport. Under the subcategory Travelling within the Netherlands you will find more information about this.

COA (Central Agency for Asylum Seekers) provides a lot of information about traffic and transportation in the Netherlands in fact sheet. This fact sheet is available in Russian.


It is still unclear whether a temporary return has consequences for your stay in the Netherlands. VluchtelingenWerk (Dutch Council for Refugees) is still advising against return migration because of the unsafe situation in Ukraine. You can find more information under the subcategory Return.


Unfortunately it is not possible to exchange a Ukrainian driving licence for a Dutch driving licence. However, refugees with a Ukrainian driving licence can drive a car in the Netherlands for 185 days. For more information on obtaining a Dutch driving licence, insurances and taxes, you can look at the subcategory Car.

Leaving the Netherlands permanently

If you leave the Netherlands, do not forget to follow these steps:

1. Deregister from the municipality

You are registered with the municipality in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). If you leave the Netherlands, you have to deregister from the BRP. You do this in the municipality where you live. The municipality will pass the deregistration on to the IND. When you are deregistered from the BRP, you will no longer be entitled to provisions from the RooO (living allowance, care, etc.) and benefits (childcare benefit, rent benefit, etc.).

2. Check your insurances Have you obtained insurances in the Netherlands? Then always check the end date of the insurance. If you are not sure, contact the insurance company.

3. Closing your bank account If you have a Dutch bank account, don't forget to contact them before you leave. The bank will stop your account. You will be asked to which account (can also be a Ukrainian account) the remaining balance can be transferred to, or to transfer the remaining balance to another checking account yourself. The bank will indicate until when you can access your Dutch account.

4. Report your departure to the IND

Have you already been deregistered from the BRP? Then you do not have to report it again to the IND. If you have already left and have not done so, you can still do so via the IND. Someone else can also report your departure. This could be a partner, employer or school. Please note: if you do not report your departure you can be fined.

5. Hand in your residence documents to the IND

Before you leave the Netherlands, you must hand in the residence document to the IND. This is because the residence document is the property of the Dutch government.

6. Leave the Netherlands on time

You have to leave the Netherlands on time. This means leaving the Netherlands before the expiry date of the proof of residence you currently have. The Repatriation & Departure Service (DT&V) can support you in leaving the Netherlands.

More information and documents can be found on the website of the IND.

Travel allowance

If your job is not located near you, you probably use a car or public transportation to get to work. Travel costs to and from work can be expensive. Your employer may offer you travel allowance. This is an allowance for the costs you make to get to work. Always ask about this when you sign a contract with a potential employer.

When traveling by personal transportation, carpooling or public transportation, an employer can provide tax-free coverage up to €0.21 per kilometer. If your employer gives more than 0.21 per kilometer, then everything above this 0.21 is considered as salary and is therefore taxed just like the rest of your salary. For this maximum allowance, it does not matter which method of transportation you use. When traveling by public transportation, the employer can also compensate the entire amount of your travel expenses.

If you use public transportation the employer can choose between providing tax-free compensation for:

  • The actual travel expenses you actually incurred (for example, the price of your train ticket); or

  • Number of kilometers traveled up to a maximum of €0.21 per kilometer.

Don't know how your employer covers the cost of public transportation? You can always read this in your contract or check with your employer.