Hotline support
go back

Do you have questions about work and income in the Netherlands? These resources will help you on your way.

Refugee Work logo

You have talent, experience, perseverance, and want to get connected to employers

Sign up

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Below you will find a short summary of the most important information about work and income.

Working in the Netherlands

You may work in salaried employment as long as you are entitled to Temporary Protection In addition, you must meet the following requirements:

Under normal circumstances, people from a country outside the European Union must have a work permit. This means that the employer must request permission from the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen (UWV) to employ such a person. An exception has been made for refugees from Ukraine.

However, your employer is required to notify the UWV as soon as possible about hiring a refugee. More information about work can be found on the page Working in the Netherlands.

Living allowance

Since April 1, the Dutch government pays a living allowance to refugees from Ukraine who are entitled to Temporary Protection. As long as you are not in paid employment, you are entitled to €260 living allowance per person per month. This applies to both adults and children.

Municipalities may provide part of the living allowance in kind. In the form of meals in shelters, for example. As a result, refugees may receive (much) less living allowance in some municipalities than in others.

You are entitled to an additional allowance if you live with a host family. Check the page Living allowance for more information.

Please note: your right to living allowance ends as soon as you start earning money. Even if you work part-time. Family members who don't work will still receive living allowance.

Workplaces, internships and trainings

Are you looking for a job, internship, coaching or training? Then take a look at the subcategories Workplaces & internships and Trainings.

Do you want more information about working in the Netherlands, or would you like advice on finding a job? Take a look at the website

Prevent exploitation through employment agency

Pay close attention if you sign an employment contract through a temp agency. Your paycheck may look different from your colleagues'. You may not get what you are rightfully entitled to. Employment agencies and companies come up with tricks to get you to work for as little money as possible. You lose out because, for example, you get paid less than your colleague doing the same job.

Het Juridisch Loket (The Legal Aid Office) can help you check your contract. You can visit one of the locations or contact them by phone. You can find contact information on the website of the Juridisch Loket.

You will also find information to prevent exploitation in this flyer. The flyer is available in English, Ukrainian and Russian.

The Federation of Dutch Trade Unions (FNV) also has a lot of information about rights and obligations in the Netherlands. This website is available in Ukrainian.