This is how you can get a house

Last updated: 3/16/2023, 10:56 AM

When you receive a residence permit, the Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA) matches you with a municipality. The COA tries to match you with a municipality near where you can work. After you are matched with a municipality, the municipality will look for suitable housing. Usually this is social housing from a housing corporation. These are homes that are affordable for people with lower incomes.

What kind of house am I getting?

  • If you are with a family, you are usually assigned a single-family home.

  • If you are young and single, you often get a room in a house with other housing seekers. For example, with students and working young people.

Please note: you are obliged to accept the housing accommodation offered by a municipality. If you do not, you wonundefinedt get another offer.

Please note: there are currently more house seekers than (rental) homes in the Netherlands. This is also due to the housing crisis. Because of this, it can take a long time before you are offered a house.

Staying with a host family

Do you already have a residence permit, but no housing is available for you yet? Then you can stay temporarily with a Dutch host family. You can apply for that via Takecarebnb.

During the three-month stay you can get to know the Netherlands better. For example, you get to know more Dutch people and you learn the Dutch language by talking to them. During your period of stay, you will remain on the waiting list for a home of your own.