This is how the process of family reunification goes

Last updated: 3/13/2023, 12:32 PM

After you submit your application for family reunification, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) must review it. It can take several months to more than a year for the IND to decide on your application for family reunification.

After approval of your application

Once family reunification has been approved by the

Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
, your family members can travel to the Netherlands. The letter you receive from the IND will tell you where your family members should report after arriving in the Netherlands. Normally, they stay there for about 4 days. Due to long waiting periods, it may currently take significantly longer.

Your family members receive a undefinedafgeleide verblijfsvergunningundefined from the IND that is valid for 5 years. undefinedAfgeleidundefined means that their stay depends on your residence permit.

Please note: If your family members have a derived residence permit and the IND revokes or does not renew your asylum permit, the IND will also revoke your family membersundefined permit.

The IND can also revoke your family memberundefineds residence permit if the family relationship ends: that means your family member no longer has a relationship with you. Also, if your family member is your child, and they are going to live independently within 1 year, the IND can revoke their permit.

If your family members want to submit an independent asylum application, they can contact

VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN)
about this.

This is what VluchtelingenWerk (VWN) can do for you

  • Provide information about the process of family reunification and help with the application form.

  • Liaise with the IND on your behalf during the process.

  • Assist in answering questions from the IND about your family relationship

  • Sometimes VluchtelingenWerk can help request a contribution from the Dutch Refugee Fund to reimburse some of the travel costs to the Netherlands for your family members.

  • Help with practical matters once your family members have arrived in the Netherlands and there is housing for you in the municipality. For example, applying for benefits and allowances. Or taking out health insurance and registering with a family doctor, dentist and school.

  • If your application for family reunification has been rejected and you want to appeal, VluchtelingenWerk can help you find a lawyer.