Civic integration system 2013

Last updated: 3/20/2023, 1:52 PM

The 2013 civic integration system applies to you if you received a letter from Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO) before 1 January 2022 about the civic integration obligation. On this page you can read what you need to do.

You choose your own school

You have to choose a civic integration school yourself. Your contact at

VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN)
or your social worker can help you with this.

You must pay for your civic integration course and exams yourself. You can pay for the civic integration course and exams with a loan from


If you would like to borrow money, the school where you take your course must have a undefinedBlik op Werkundefined seal of approval. This means that the school meets certain quality requirements.

If you have an asylum residence permit and finish your civic integration within the civic integration period, you do not have to repay the loan. If you fail to pass your civic integration exam on time, you have to repay (part of) the loan.

  • Dutch language classes: you will learn to read, write, speak and listen.

  • Lessons in Knowledge of Dutch Society (KNM).

  • Lessons in Orientation oo the Dutch Labour Market (ONA).

You take a course on participation

You also participate in the undefinedparticipation statement processundefined (PVT). The PVT is a mandatory part of civic integration and lasts at least one half-day. It consists of:

  • Education about living in the Netherlands.

  • Signing the undefinedparticipation statementundefined.

The undefinedparticipation statementundefined is intended to point out to you the rights, duties and important values of Dutch society. You need to sign the undefinedparticipatieverklaringundefined to successfully complete your civic integration.

You have successfully completed your civic integration if you:

More time required or exemption from the civic integration obligation

You have to complete your civic integration within three years. Some people do not manage to complete the civic integration on time. Sometimes it is possible to get an extension for the civic integration period. However, certain rules apply. It is also possible in certain situations to be exempted from the obligation to complete civic integration. For example, if you have already done a lot towards the civic integration, but do not succeed. Or if you are very seriously ill. There are certain rules for this as well.

You can ask DUO for an extension to the civic integration period or an exemption from the civic integration obligation. Your contact person at VWN or your social worker can help you with this.