Civic integration system 2021

Last updated: 3/20/2023, 1:52 PM

The 2021 civic integration system applies to you if you received a letter from Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO) on or after 1 January 2022 about the civic integration obligation. On this page you can read what you need to do.

You will have a contact person at the municipality. First, you will have a conversation with your contact person and take a test. The municipality will see how fast you are able to learn. You then make a plan together with your contact person. This is called a undefinedPlan Inburgering en Participatieundefined (PIP).

If you have an asylum permit, the municipality will pay for your civic integration course and exams. If you fail an exam and have to take it again, the municipality will pay for the exam one more time. After that, you have to pay for it yourself. You cannot get a loan for this from


The 'B1 pathway'
The 'Onderwijsroute' (education pathway)
The 'Zelfredzaamheidsroute' (self-sufficiency pathway)

For the undefinedB1-routeundefined and the undefinedOnderwijsrouteundefined you have to take exams. You sit these exams at

. You can register for the exams via the undefinedMijn Inburgeringundefined website.

Your language school and your contact at the municipality can help with this. After an exam, you will receive a letter with your results. If you failed an exam, you can take that exam one more time free of charge. After that you have to pay for a resit yourself.

'Module Arbeidsmarkt & Participatie' (labour market and participation module)

If you take the undefinedB1-routeundefined or the undefinedZelfredzaamheidsrouteundefined, you have to take the undefinedModule Arbeidsmarkt undefined Participatieundefined (MAP). In this module you get information about working and participating in Dutch society. You also gain work experience. The MAP consists of:

  1. A starting interview at the municipality: in this interview you will discuss what you will do.

  2. Education about the Dutch labour market.

  3. 40 hours of work experience: for example, through volunteering, an internship or visiting organisations and companies.

  4. A final interview at the municipality: in this interview you will discuss what you have learned, what kind of work you want to do and the help you will get from the municipality.

You take a course on participation

You participate in the undefinedparticipation statement processundefined (PVT). The PVT is a mandatory part of civic integration. It lasts a minimum of 12 hours and consists of:

  • Education about living in the Netherlands.

  • A walk through the community where you live.

  • Signing the participation statement.

The undefinedparticipation statementundefined is intended to point out to you the rights, duties and important values of Dutch society. You need to sign the undefinedparticipatieverklaringundefined to successfully complete your civic integration.

You have successfully completed your civic integration if you:

  • Have completed 1 of the 3 integration pathways.

  • Have signed the participation statement (PVT).

More time required or exemption from the civic integration obligation

You have to complete your civic integration within three years. Some people do not manage to complete the civic integration on time. Sometimes it is possible to get an extension for the civic integration period. However, certain rules apply. It is also possible in certain situations to be exempted from the obligation to complete civic integration. For example, if you have already done a lot towards the civic integration, but do not succeed. Or if you are very seriously ill. There are certain rules for this as well.

Contact your contact at the municipality to see what is possible in your situation. Your contact at

VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN)
or your social worker can help you with this.