• Start
  • COA links you to a municipality
A Dutch street.
Source: Daan Rink

COA links you to a municipality

Last updated: 1/18/2024, 9:56 AM
Share this article

If your asylum application is approved, you are entitled to a home. The Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA) will choose a municipality for you. That municipality will then arrange a home for you. On this page you can read how this works.

You are not allowed to choose your own municipality to live in

If your application for asylum been approved by the

Click here for an additional explanation
Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
, COA will choose a municipality for you.
Click here for an additional explanation
must link you to a municipality within 2 weeks after your asylum application is approved. From then on, the municipality will start looking for a home for you.

You are not allowed to choose a municipality where you will live. Which municipality you are linked to depends on how much space there is in that municipality. How many houses there are for people with an asylum residence permit differs per municipality. A larger municipality has more houses for people with an asylum residence permit than a smaller municipality.

COA tries to take your situation into account

COA tries to choose a municipality that best suits your situation. That is why COA asks you for information about your situation. For example, COA asks how big your family is, what kind of work you want to do and whether you want to study.

Sometimes you can indicate to COA a preference for a municipality

If you have good reasons to live near a particular municipality, you can let COA know. If one of the reasons below apply to you, COA will try to find you a home within 50 kilometers of where you want to live.

  • If you are going to do a course that is in a specific place. And cannot be taken at any other place.

  • If you have a job for which you work for at least 6 months and at least 20 hours per week.

  • If you need medical or psychological help that can only be given by a particular doctor.

  • If you have parents, brothers or sisters in the Netherlands who already live in a particular municipality and you want to live nearby.

COA will only look at these special reasons if you have written proof of them.

Fill out a form

You must show COA yourself that such a reason applies to you. You must fill this in on a form. COA will give you this form.

If you do not do this, or you only provide the reason after COA has already linked you to a municipality, COA does not have to take your preference for a municipality into account.

Does this article help you?

Step-by-step plan

This is how you can get a home