• Home
  • Rental allowance for paying your rent
A house folded from paper money
Source: Pixabay
Rental allowance for paying your rent
Last updated: 11/28/2023, 2:37 PM

If you rent a home, you may be entitled to rental allowance. This is extra income you can get from the government if you have a low income. For example, if you live on benefits alone or receive study financing.

Rental allowance

Rental allowance is an allowance from the government to help pay the rent on your home. You must meet the following conditions to be entitled to rental allowance:

Your income must not be too high

You must not earn too much. If you live alone or you live with someone, the amounts are different. On the website of the Dutch tax authorities you can calculate whether you are entitled to rental allowance.

If you have children living at home who have an income, some or all of their income will be taken into account in the application for the allowance.

Your rent must not be too high

How high your rent can be changes a little each year. You can find what the rent limit is on the website of the Dutch tax authorities.

If all the occupants of your home are younger than 23, the maximum rent is lower, unless you have a child living with you.

You must have an independent living space

An independent living space has at least its own front door that can be locked, kitchen and toilet.

But you cannot get a rental allowance for all independent residences. For example, you cannot get a rental allowance for a houseboat or a recreational home. For some non-self-contained accommodations, however, you can get a rental allowance.

Your assets (savings) must not be too high

You must also not have too many assets, such as savings.

Applying for an allowance

You can apply for allowances on the Dutch tax authorities' 'Mijn toeslagen' website. To do so, you need

. Your contact person from
VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN)
or social worker from another organisation can help you in applying for an allowance.

Report changes in your income immediately

If you start earning more or less, you must tell the Dutch tax authorities right away. Otherwise you may have to pay back money later. Or you may receive too little allowance while you are entitled to it.

Again, your VWN contact person or social worker can assist with this.

'Mijn toeslagen'
Report any changes in your income or rent that affect your allowances.
What do you think of this article?