Someone is packing moving boxes.
Source: Shvets Production
Moving after family reunification
Last updated: 1/29/2024, 1:32 PM

If your family members come to the Netherlands and you have a home that is too small to live in together, the municipality will arrange another home for you. In this article you can read how this works.

Municipality arranges a suitable home

Often, you first get a home from the municipality that is suitable for you alone. After your family reunification is approved, the municipality starts looking for a new home that is large enough for you and your family. Due to the housing crisis, it can take a long time for the municipality to find suitable housing for you and your family.

Sometimes the municipality will immediately give you a home large enough for your whole family. Even if your family is not yet in the Netherlands. Then your family members can live with you immediately after they arrive in the Netherlands.

Your family members will receive a place in a COA reception centre as long as there is no home available

If your home is too small for your entire family, your family members will first be housed in a reception centre of the

Click here for an additional explanation
Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA)
. They live there until the municipality finds a suitable home.

You and your family members move into the new home

If the municipality has found a home large enough for you and your family members, you need to do several things. For example:

  • Sign your rental agreement.

  • Your family members must register with the municipality.

  • Your family members must deregister with COA.

The article below will take you to a series of articles on housing. In it you will find more information about the things you need to arrange: