Return Syria

If you are thinking about returning to your country of origin, this page about Syria will provide you with information about what allowances are available and which organisations can help you return.

Independent return to your country of origin

Choosing to return to your country yourself is not easy. Sometimes it is difficult to return for practical reasons. For example, if you do not have the necessary travel documents.

Sometimes there are emotional reasons that make the decision to return difficult. For example, feelings of shame, failure or uncertainty about the future. Sometimes you also have to rebuild a social network in your country and search for a home and job.

If you are thinking about leaving the Netherlands, several organisations can help you return to your country of origin. Help from these organisations is free.

Allowances for returning

Basic allowance (REAN)

You will receive a basic allowance according to the REAN scheme. REAN stands for 'Return and Emigration Assistance from the Netherlands'. The REAN scheme reimburses:

  • Support

  • An airline ticket

  • Assistance in obtaining travel documents

  • 200 in cash for an adult and €40 for a child travelling with you. You will receive this cash at Schiphol on the day of departure.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) arranges this allowance for you. The organisation helping you return can apply to IOM for the allowance on your behalf.

Allowance for reintegration

You can receive an additional allowance from the Dutch government to make a fresh start in your country of origin. You get the allowance to pay for goods or services for this purpose. There are several organisations with projects that provide the reintegration allowance in the country of origin.

For example, you can use the allowance to attend training or pay for supplies for your own business. You can get a small part of the allowance in cash. The allowance is:

  • €1,800 for an adult (maximum €300 cash).

  • €2,800 for an accompanying child or an unaccompanied minor child (maximum €300 in cash).

Organisations that can help you in the Netherlands

Cooperation organisations in country of origin

  • VluchtelingenWerk does not consider the conditions for return to Syria safe. Therefore, VWN does not have a cooperation partner in Syria to support you.

  • IOM has an office in Syria and reintegration support there is provided by the local office.

Other organisations may have a partner in Lebanon or Syria who could support you with your return. For more information, contact these organisations or ask your supervisor at VluchtelingenWerk.