show menu options



Man behind a laptop in a cafe
Source: Edmond Dante

Looking for work with a W-document for 1 year

Last updated: 2/19/2024, 1:11 PM
Share this article

If you are still waiting for an asylum residence permit, but would already like to work in the Netherlands, you will find more information on how to find work on this page.

If you do not yet have an asylum residence permit, you may work under certain conditions

If you have a

Click here for an additional explanation
for 12 or 18 months, you can only work if your asylum application has been pending in the Netherlands for 6 months or more. There are other conditions to be able to work.

Looking for a job

You can search for jobs online via LinkedIn or job websites such as 'Indeed' and 'Nationale Vacaturebank'. Sometimes you can also visit a company you want to work for. You can then ask if the company is looking for employees. This is often possible at stores and restaurants.

Finding work through a temporary employment agency

If you are you looking for temporary work and want to get started quickly, it is a good idea to register with a temporary employment agency. A temporary employment agency is an organisation that matches employers and employees. If you are looking for work, you can register with a temporary employment agency as a job seeker.

Together with an employee of the temporary employment agency, you can discuss what kind of work you are looking for, what your work experience is and what education you have. The employee tries to find work that suits you. Work through a temporary employment agency is usually temporary.

Help in finding work

The municipality you live in and the

Click here for an additional explanation
'Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen' (UWV)
can help you look for work.

VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN) can also help with this. VWN's volunteer employment coaches can help you to find a suitable job, training, work placement or volunteer work.

Finding work in your own language with RefugeeWork

If you want to work, you can apply via the RefugeeWork website. On that platform, you can search for a job in your own language. In fact, on RefugeeWork you will find job postings translated into 11 languages. That way, you can read what jobs are available in your own language and let employers know that you would like to come to work.

You can fill in on RefugeeWork who you are. You can also upload a CV for RefugeeWork. A CV is a page that includes your personal information, education and work experience. Then you can be matched with work that suits you.

RefugeeWork was started by

Click here for an additional explanation
VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN)
. The platform is supported by the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment.

Does this article help you?