Volunteering with a W-document for 1 year

Last updated: 5/23/2023, 2:38 PM
Share this article

You may volunteer if you have applied for asylum and have a W-document for 1 year. Read more about how to volunteer here.

This is volunteer work

Volunteering is work you do for others or for society without getting paid for it. You can volunteer if you enjoy it, or if you want to gain work experience. Through volunteer work you can also practice the Dutch language and meet Dutch people.

You need a volunteer statement

If you have found an organisation where you will be volunteering, this organisation must request a volunteer statement from the

Click here for an additional explanation

Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen (UWV)

. A volunteer statement is a letter stating that your volunteer work is not a paid job.

Once the organisation has received confirmation of the application, you may begin your volunteer work. The UWV will make a decision on the application within 2 weeks. You do not have to wait for the UWVundefineds decision.

Sometimes you need a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC)

Sometimes volunteering requires a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). Usually the organisation applies for the CGC for you. You do not have to do this yourself. You do not need a

Click here for an additional explanation

Dutch citizen service number

to apply for a CGC.

Compensation for your volunteer work

Sometimes you get compensation when you volunteer. For example, for travel expenses or other costs you incur. This compensation does not affect the living and food allowance you receive from COA. This is because the compensation is not income.

You may receive up to €190 per month and €1900 per year in compensation for your volunteer work. You may also receive compensation other than money. For example, a gift certificate or free training or workshop.

Volunteering in the COA reception centre

You can also volunteer at the COA reception centre. For example, by helping to clean and maintain the buildings or garden, or by helping with translation. You can do this work for a maximum of 25 hours a week. You receive a maximum allowance of €14 per week. You can get information about this at the COA information desk.

Did this article help you?