This is how civic integration works

Last updated: 3/20/2023, 1:56 PM

'Civic integration' is something you do to learn the Dutch language. You also learn about Dutch society. This civic integration normally takes a maximum of 3 years. After your civic integration, you can study or work in the Netherlands.

Civic integration is mandatory

Do you have an asylum residence permit and are you between 18 and 67 years old? Then you will start with undefinedinburgerenundefined (civic integration). This is compulsory. You have to attend an integration course and take exams within a given timeframe (usually 3 years). Or you have to obtain a diploma for at least MBO 2 level.

Starting civic integration

You will receive a letter from the

Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO)
about the start of your civic integration. This letter tells you how much time you have for your civic integration. This is called the undefinedcivic integration periodundefined. This period is usually three years.

You must get your civic integration diploma before the end of your civic integration period. DUO can fine you if you donundefinedt finish your civic integration on time.

These rules apply to you

The Netherlands has two different civic integration systems: the integration system since 2013 and the integration system 2021. Both systems have different rules.

To find out which rules apply to you, look at the letter from the

Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
stating that you will get a residence permit. This is called a undefinedbeschikkingundefined.

The letter from DUO and your personal file on also state which civic integration system applies to you.

Choose which civic integration system applies to you below to get information about civic integration in your personal situation: