Hotline support
go back

On this page you will find how to exchange money and open a bank account.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Here you can find information about the three most important types of insurance in the Netherlands.

Liability insurance

Usually, refugees from Ukraine that are staying with a host family are insured through the liability insurance of their host family. They are thus by the insurance agency considered as guests. To make sure this is the case, contact the insurance company of your host family. Damages done to the house and/or its inventory also need to be claimed with the home or contents insurance of the host family. Insurance companies Centraal Beheer Achmea, Melior and AxaXL have decided this will have no consequences for the premium that the host familiy pays. Refugees staying in reception locations are insured via the municipality in which they are staying. However, conditions and own risks apply. For more information, please contact the municipality where you are staying. If a refugee has found permanent accommodation and owns a motor vehicle such as a car or motorbike, they are obliged to take out third-party insurance.

Health insurance

As of July 1, refugees from Ukraine, who are registered in the BRP and have a BSN, are covered by the Medical Care Directive for Displaced Persons (RMO). Because of this, it is no longer necessary to take out health insurance independently. You can find more information about the RMO on the page Health insurance.

Car insurance

Many cars from Ukraine are only insured within Ukraine. This means that you need to take out a separate insurance if you are staying in the Netherlands with your car. You can find more information about this under the subcategory Car.