go back

On this page you will find how to exchange money and open a bank account.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Down below, you can find information concerning living allowance for refugees from Ukraine.

Amount of living allowance

Refugees from Ukraine (including refugees without Ukrainian nationality) have been entitled to a €260,- living allowance per person per month as of April 1. This amount applies to both adults and children.

€ 205,- of this is intended for food. € 55,- is intended for clothing and other personal items. Registration in the BRP (Basisregistratie Personen) is not a condition for receiving living allowance.

Municipalities may pay out part of the living allowance in kind, for example if meals are offered at shelter locations. As a result, it is possible that refugees in some municipalities receive (much) less living allowance. See among others the Parliamentary Letter of 30 March and article 6 and following of the Regulation on the Reception of Displaced Persons in Ukraine (ROO).

Please note: the amount of the living allowance will be adjusted per 1 February 2023. From this date, the amount of the living allowance will depend on the size of your family. For exact amounts, you can read this article on RefugeeHelp.

Extra allowance

If you live with a host family, you will receive an additional allowance in addition to the living allowance. Adults receive €215 per month, children €55. This money can be used, for example, for public transportation, family visits, or sports.

You can also use the money to contribute to the host family's expenses, but this is not mandatory. If several refugees are hosted in a host family, each of them is entitled to living expenses. There is no maximum amount per host family.

Please note: from 1 February 2023, the extra allowance will be changed to €93 per person; regardless of age.

Living allowance & work

When you earn income from employment, the living allowance will be stopped. It doesn't matter how high or low your income is. Are you going to work? Inform your municipality of this. Will you lose your job? Reapply for living allowance at your municipality.

Are you under 18 and have a side job? Even then, you must report this to the municipality and your living allowance will be stopped.

Family members who are not working are still entitled to living allowance. Please check the website of the central government every now and then for the most up-to-date information.

Please note: from 1 December 2022, the municipality in which you reside can stop the living allowance for an entire family if an adult family member earns money from work or receives welfare benefits.

If a welfare benefit is found to be insufficient, the municipality can also stop living allowance only partially.

Moving & living allowance

Are you moving to another municipality? If you move to a shelter or a host family in another municipality, you must de-register from your current municipality. The local authority will then stop paying you your living allowance from the first day of the following month. When you have moved to a new municipality, you should register with your new municipality as soon as possible. As soon as you are registered in the new municipality, you can re-apply for your living allowance there.

Please note, if you move to a self-contained dwelling, your entitlement to living allowance will cease. Report your move to the municipality. For more information about the termination of the allowance, go to 'termination of living allowance' on this page.

Termination of living allowance

Your living allowance will be ended when:

  • You leave the municipal shelter or your host family to live independently.

  • You will be doing paid work. This includes part-time jobs. It does not matter how much money you earn per month. If you start paid work, you have to report this to the municipality where you live. The municipality will then stop your living allowance. Family members who don't have paid jobs continue to receive their living allowance.

Please note: Per 1 February 2023, the whole family's living allowance will be stopped if someone aged 18 or older starts working. This will also happen if someone aged 18 or over receives welfare benefits from the Dutch government.

  • You leave the Netherlands permanently. If you are going to leave the Netherlands permanently, you have to report this to the municipality where you are staying. They will deregister you from the BRP and your living allowance will be stopped.

Would you like more information on the living allowance? Take a look at the website of the national government.