go back

Do you have questions about work and income in the Netherlands? These resources will help you on your way.

Refugee Work logo

You have talent, experience, perseverance, and want to get connected to employers

Sign up

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Down below, you can find information concerning living allowance for refugees from Ukraine.

How much living allowance do Ukrainian refugees receive?

Since the 1st of April, refugees from Ukraine (including refugees without the Ukrainian nationality) can claim € 260 living allowance, per person per month. Registration in the BRP (Basisregistratie Personen) is not a requirement for receiving a living allowance.

Please note that local authorities may pay out part of the living allowance in kind, for example if meals are offered at shelter locations. As a result, it is possible that refugees in some municipalities receive (much) less living allowance. See among others the Parliamentary Letter of 30 March and article 6 and following of the Regulation on the Reception of Displaced Persons in Ukraine (ROO).

Extra allowance

Refugees who live with a host family receive an extra allowance in addition to their living allowance. Adults receive € 215 per month, children € 55. This money can be used for things like public transport, family visits or sports. Refugees can also use the money to contribute to the costs of the host family, but this is not obligatory. When a host family accommodates more than one refugee, they are each entitled to their own living allowance. There is no maximum amount per host family.

3 to 6 months

The government has decided to grant living allowances for a period of 3 months, with an extension to six months. In the meantime, it is being considered how the payment of living allowances can be organized in the future, for refugees who do not have work.

Child Benefit

In the Netherlands parents receive a subsidy for raising their children, until they are 18 years old. Currently refugees from Ukraine who do not work in the Netherlands cannot receive these benefits. However, if you do have a job in the Netherlands, you might qualify for it. Contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB, the Dutch organisation that implements social insurance schemes) for more information.

Living allowance and work

When a refugee has income from work, the living allowance stops, regardless of the amount of income. Family members who are not working will still receive a living allowance. If you start working, you must report this to the municipality. If you at some point lose your job, you can apply for the living allowance again. Please contact the municipality regarding this. Check the website of the central government for the latest information.

Termination of living allowance

Your living allowance will be ended when:

  • You leave the shelter location. This means the municipal shelter location or your host family. This means that your living allowance is terminated when you start living independently.

  • You start doing paid work. This also applies to part-time jobs such as delivering newspapers. It does not matter how much money you earn each month. If you start doing paid work, you must report this to the municipality, which will then end your living allowance. Family members who are not in paid employment will continue to receive living allowance.

Would you like more information on the living allowance? Take a look at the website of the national government.

Moving & living allowance

Are you moving to another municipality? If you move to a shelter or a host family in another municipality, you must de-register from your current municipality. The local authority will then stop paying you your living allowance from the first day of the following month. When you have moved to a new municipality, you should register with your new municipality as soon as possible. As soon as you are registered in the new municipality, you can re-apply for your living allowance there.

Please note, if you move to a self-contained dwelling, your entitlement to living allowance will cease. Report your move to the municipality. For more information about the termination of the allowance, go to 'termination of living allowance' on this page.


The General Old Age Pension Act (AOW) is a basic pension for people of AOW age. The AOW age depends on the year of your birth, but is usually around 65 to 67 years. If you have not lived in the Netherlands all your life, this will affect the amount of AOW pension you receive. The AOW amount will be reduced by 2% for every year that you have not lived in the Netherlands. This means that refugees from Ukraine who have currently reached the AOW pension age are not entitled to AOW, because the AOW amount is reduced by 100%. Have you not yet reached the AOW pension age? Then you will be entitled to AOW if you are living in the Netherlands at the time you reach the AOW pension age. Bear in mind that this amount may have been reduced almost completely, because you have not yet lived in the Netherlands for long enough. Would you like more information about the AOW? Then visit the website of the Sociale Verzekeringsbank. The information is available in Dutch and English.