Independent return to your country of origin

Last updated: 3/16/2023, 10:36 AM

You decide whether or not you want to return to your country of origin. You can read more about independent return on this page.

Asylum application rejected

If the

Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
rejects your asylum application, the government agency
Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V)
will contact you about departure to your country of origin. This does not mean that you have to leave the Netherlands immediately.

If your lawyer appeals the INDundefineds ruling, you may often wait for the decision of the court in the Netherlands.

If the IND has definitively rejected your asylum application, you will receive a letter about this. This is called the undefinedbeschikkingundefined.

This means that the Dutch government requires you to return to your country of origin. If you choose to return, you can get support from different organisations.

This support can include a product, service or financial contribution. For example, an initial amount to start your own store and/or to help with writing a business plan.

These organisations can support you:

  • VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN)

  • IOM

  • Repatriation and Departure Service (DTundefinedV)

  • Solid Road

  • ROS

  • Goedwerk

  • Stichting Wereldwijd

Whether you receive support and what you are entitled to depends on your personal situation. Your contact person at VWN or your social worker can assist you with this.

VWN considers some countries unsafe to return to and does not offer assistance with your return. However, VWN can refer you to organisations that do offer assistance in returning to those countries.

Little to no support

Opportunities for reintegration support are limited if you are forcibly returned to your country of origin.

In some situations, you can receive reintegration support. This support consists of items and/or assistance with a maximum value of €1,000.