go back

Did you just arrive in the Netherlands and are you wondering how to navigate legal procedures? These resources can help you with topics like asylum procedures, requesting a visa, legal support and assistance in case you wish to return to your country of origin.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, November 30, 2022

A lawyer in the Netherlands

In most cases, you do not need a lawyer in the Netherlands. Going to court is usually the last solution to a legal problem. Do you have a legal question or need legal support? If so, you can contact the Juridisch Loket (Legal help desk). They give free legal advice and can refer you to a lawyer or mediator if necessary. The Juridisch Loket (Legal help desk) provides free basic legal advice on:

  • residence permit

  • work

  • resignation

  • right to benefits

  • immigration law

  • living

You can get legal advice during the walk-in consultation hour, or by phone (0900-8020 €0.10 p/min) or by mail, and possibly an appointment. Advice is available in both Dutch and English.

What is a pro bono lawyer?

A pro bono lawyer is a lawyer who assists you, but is (partly) paid by the government. A pro bono lawyer has had the same training as any other lawyer and is therefore just as good. You are not always entitled to a pro bono lawyer. This depends on your income and capital and is assessed by the Legal Aid Board. If you are entitled to a pro bono lawyer, you pay a small contribution yourself and the rest is paid by the government. The amount of your own contribution depends on your case. For more information about pro bono lawyers, please visit the website of the Raad voor Rechtsbijstand.

Where can I find an asylum or migration lawyer?

Are you looking for a lawyer in the field of migration and/or asylum law? Then visit:

Legal aid for children

Below you will find information about organisations that ensure that the rights of children are respected:

  • Defence for children stands up for the rights of all children both domestically and internationally. Through their Children's Rights Helpline, they provide legal support to children whose rights are in danger of being violated. More information can be found on the website of Defence for children.

  • The Kiderombudsman monitors whether the rights of children are respected by the government and other organisations in the Netherlands. You can file a complaint if you have a problem with the government, your school or an organisation in the childcare, youth welfare or health sector. The contact details can be found on the website.