go back

Do you have questions about travelling within the Netherlands or Europe? On this page you will find information about travelling to the Netherlands, the public transport system within the Netherlands, cars and help with returning to your own country.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Some refugees from Ukraine want to return (temporarily) to their home country. Due to the security situation in Ukraine, VluchtelingenWerk Nederland can not provide any advice on this.

Please note: in general, a refugee's return to their country of origin - and relatively safe stay there - can be considered in the assessment of an asylum application. At the time of assessing the asylum application of refugees from Ukraine, temporary return to Ukraine will play a role in that assessment.

Do you not have Ukrainian nationality and would you like to know more about returning to your country of origin or the possibility of applying for asylum? You can read about this in the category 'Non-Ukrainian citizenship'.

Flow chart return of Ukrainian refugees

Do you want more information about returning to Ukraine or traveling on to another country within or outside the European Union? The Dutch government has developed a flowchart with all relevant information for your situation. The flowchart is only available in Dutch and mostly meant for municipalities and other organisations involved.

Repatriation and Departure Service

The Return & Departure Service (DT&V) will support you when you want to return to Ukraine. This also applies to refugees from Ukraine with a different nationality. This support will consist of information and advice, support in arranging (replacement) travel documents and assistance with transport to Ukraine.

Most of the time it involves (bus) transportation to the Ukrainian border. From there, trains and buses go to Ukraine. Local aid organizations in Poland can help with transit. DT&V can also help you financing (part of) the trip.

Assistance from the Repatriation & Departure Service

Those seeking assistance to return to Ukraine can make this known through this form from the DT&V (Repatriation and Departure Service). In doing so, a statement must be signed in which the refugee declares to voluntarily leave the Netherlands. The DT&V does not offer support for temporary return to Ukraine. For more information, see the DT&V's website.

From November 15, the Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V) can offer you additional support and a financial contribution for return to Ukraine, your country of origin or a country outside the European Union. Please note: that this additional support is only for people who resided in Ukraine on the basis of a (temporary) residence permit at the time of the Russian invasion and who were registered in the BRP before July 19, 2022 and are covered by the Temporary Protection Directive until March 4, 2023. Learn more about this support here.

Required documents

To return to Ukraine, you need certain documents, which you may need to apply for at the Ukrainian Embassy in the Netherlands. On the website of Visit Ukraine you can find out which documents these are and how you can apply for them.

Leaving the Netherlands (temporarily)

If you are leaving the Netherlands permanently, you must deregister with the municipality where you are staying. If you return to Ukraine temporarily, pay attention to how long you are out of the Netherlands. If you are going to be outside of the Netherlands for more than eight months within a year, you have to deregister from the municipality where you live. These months do not have to be consecutive. Even if you are going to live outside the Netherlands twice within a year for five months, for example, you have to deregister from the municipality. If you deregister, your BSN remains valid.

Deregistration is different for each municipality. For more information contact your municipality. Do the same if you are not yet sure whether you are leaving the Netherlands temporarily or permanently. Please note: the consequences for shelter and obtaining living allowance also vary by municipality. So check this with your municipality as well.

Travel advice Dutch government

At the moment there is a negative travel advice for Ukraine. This means that the Dutch government advises against travelling to the country. Returning to Ukraine is therefore at your own responsibility and risk. The return journey to Ukraine will not be reimbursed.

Leaving the Netherlands permanently

If you leave the Netherlands, do not forget to follow these steps:

1. Deregister from the municipality

You are registered with the municipality in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). If you leave the Netherlands, you must deregister from the BRP. You can do this in the municipality where you live. The municipality passes on the deregistration to the IND.

2. Report your departure to the IND

Have you already been deregistered from the BRP? Then you do not have to report it again to the IND. If you have already left and have not done so, you can still do so via the IND. Someone else can also report your departure. This could be a partner, employer or school. Please note: if you do not report your departure you can be fined.

3. Hand in your residence documents to the IND

Before you leave the Netherlands, you must hand in the residence document to the IND. This is because the residence document is the property of the Dutch government.

4. Leave the Netherlands on time

You must leave the Netherlands on time. This means that you have to leave the Netherlands before the expiry date of the residence permit you have now.

More information and documents can be found on the website of the IND.