go back

Do you have questions about work and income in the Netherlands? These resources will help you on your way.

Refugee Work logo

You have talent, experience, perseverance, and want to get connected to employers

Sign up

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Monday, October 3, 2022

Down below, you can find information concerning living allowance for refugees from Ukraine.

How much living allowance do Ukrainian refugees receive?

Refugees from Ukraine (including refugees without Ukrainian nationality) have been entitled to a €260,- living allowance per person per month as of April 1. This amount applies to both adults and children.

€ 205,- of this is intended for food. € 55,- is intended for clothing and other personal items. Registration in the BRP (Basisregistratie Personen) is not a condition for receiving living allowance.

Please note: municipalities may provide part of the living allowance in kind. For example, if meals are offered in shelters. As a result, you may receive (much) less living allowance in your municipality. For more information, please check the Parliamentary Letter of 30 March and article 6 and following of the Regulation on the Reception of Displaced Persons in Ukraine (ROO).

Extra allowance

If you live with a host family, you will receive an additional allowance in addition to the living allowance. Adults receive €215 per month, children €55. This money can be used, for example, for public transportation, family visits, or sports.

You can also use the money to contribute to the host family's expenses, but this is not mandatory. If several refugees are hosted in a host family, each of them is entitled to living expenses. There is no maximum amount per host family.

Child Benefit

In the Netherlands parents receive a subsidy for raising their children, until they are 18 years old. Currently refugees from Ukraine who do not work in the Netherlands cannot receive these benefits. However, if you do have a job in the Netherlands, you might qualify for it. Contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB, the Dutch organisation that implements social insurance schemes) for more information.

Living allowance and work

When a refugee has income from work, the living allowance stops, regardless of the amount of income. Family members who are not working will still receive a living allowance. If you start working, you must report this to the municipality. If you at some point lose your job, you can apply for the living allowance again. Please contact the municipality regarding this. Check the website of the central government for the latest information.

Termination of living allowance

Your living allowance will be ended when:

  • You leave the municipal shelter or your host family to live independently.

  • You will be doing paid work. This includes part-time jobs. It does not matter how much money you earn per month. If you start paid work, you have to report this to the municipality where you live. The municipality will then stop your living allowance. Family members who don't have paid jobs continue to receive their living allowance.

  • You leave the Netherlands permanently. If you are going to leave the Netherlands permanently, you have to report this to the municipality where you are staying. The municipality will deregister you from the BRP and your living allowance will be stopped.

Would you like more information on the living allowance? Take a look at the website of the national government.

Moving & living allowance

Are you moving to another municipality? If you move to a shelter or a host family in another municipality, you must de-register from your current municipality. The local authority will then stop paying you your living allowance from the first day of the following month. When you have moved to a new municipality, you should register with your new municipality as soon as possible. As soon as you are registered in the new municipality, you can re-apply for your living allowance there.

Please note, if you move to a self-contained dwelling, your entitlement to living allowance will cease. Report your move to the municipality. For more information about the termination of the allowance, go to 'termination of living allowance' on this page.


The General Old Age Pension Act (AOW) is a basic pension for people of AOW age. The AOW age depends on the year of your birth, but is usually around 65 to 67 years. If you have not lived in the Netherlands all your life, this will affect the amount of AOW pension you receive. The AOW amount will be reduced by 2% for every year that you have not lived in the Netherlands. This means that refugees from Ukraine who have currently reached the AOW pension age are not entitled to AOW, because the AOW amount is reduced by 100%. Have you not yet reached the AOW pension age? Then you will be entitled to AOW if you are living in the Netherlands at the time you reach the AOW pension age. Bear in mind that this amount may have been reduced almost completely, because you have not yet lived in the Netherlands for long enough. Would you like more information about the AOW? Then visit the website of the Sociale Verzekeringsbank. The information is available in Dutch and English.