go back

Do you have questions about work and income in the Netherlands? These resources will help you on your way.

Refugee Work logo

You have talent, experience, perseverance, and want to get connected to employers

Sign up

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Monday, November 21, 2022

On this page you will find more information about the different types of taxes in the Netherlands.

Income taxes

The Netherlands has a 'progressive income tax system'. This means that the higher your income, the more tax you have to pay. This tax is automatically deducted from your salary. The income tax system works in 2 steps:

  1. 0 to €69.399 are taxed at 37.07%;

  2. €69.399 and above are taxed at 49.50%.

Loonheffingskorting (wage tax reduction)

If you are employed by an employer, you are entitled to 'loonheffingskorting'; a wage tax reduction. You can apply for this reduction with your employer. If you work for multiple employers at the same time, you can only claim loonheffingskorting from one of them. For more information, visit the subcategory Loonheffingskorting.

Please note: keep in mind that there are likely to be other taxes and contributions deducted from your salary. For more information about this, contact the Beslastingdienst or your employer.

Sales tax

Sales tax is levied in the form of VAT (btw). Entrepreneurs include VAT in the price of goods and services. As a result, the price may be higher than indicated. If something includes VAT, that is the total price. In this case, you do not have to take into account a higher bill than expected. If something is exclusive (excl.) of VAT, you still have to pay 9 or 21% VAT, depending on the service or product. For more information, visit the website from the Belastingdienst.

Tax on vehicles

In a consultationon 6 April 2022, the Ministerial Committee for Crisis Management decided that Ukrainian refugees, with a vehicle with a Ukrainian registration number, do not have to pay motor vehicle tax (MRB) or tax on passenger cars and motorbikes (BPM) for the time being. This decision is valid until temporary measures for MRB and BPM can be taken.

Municipal taxes

If you independently rent a property, you will most likely have to pay municipal taxes. The number of taxes and their amounts vary from one municipality to another. Do you want to know more about the municipal taxes in your place of residence? Please contact the municipality where you live. Under certain circumstances, municipal taxes can be reduced or discharged. The municipality assesses whether you are eligible for a reduction or remission. This assessment can differ per municipality. The municipality looks at your income and assets and uses this information to calculate what you would be able to pay. Would you like more information on the reduction or waiver of municipal taxes? Please contact your municipality.