go back

Do you have questions about work and income in the Netherlands? These resources will help you on your way.

Refugee Work logo

You have talent, experience, perseverance, and want to get connected to employers

Sign up

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Monday, November 21, 2022

Conditions to be able to work

As long as you are entitled to Temporary Protection, you may work as an employee in the Netherlands. Next to that, you must meet the following requirements:

Your future employer however, must notify the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen (UWV) as soon as possible that they are hiring a refugee from Ukraine.

Please note: until November 1, 2022, proof of residency is not required. However, you do need a Ukrainian passport, identity card, or proof from the Ukrainian embassy. Or a Ukrainian residence permit or Ukrainian recognition as a refugee that was valid on Feb. 23, 2022.

You can find more information about work on the page Working in the Netherlands. You can also find more information on the Dutch government's website.

I have a job. Do I have to get insurance?

Normally, people who live or work in the Netherlands must have health insurance. This is called 'insurance obligation' (verzekeringsplicht). An exception to this applies to refugees from Ukraine.

You don't have to buy health insurance and can get your health care expenses covered from the Regeling Medische zorg Ontheemden (RMO). Read more about this topic on the page RMO.

Please note: did you receive a warning letter from the CAK telling you to get health insurance within three months? Please contact the CAK to explain that this doesn't apply to you.

Werk.nl (Work.nl)

The website below provides information and advice on working in the Netherlands. You can go there with all your questions about finding a job, or if you want to know whether you are entitled to unemployment benefits.

International credential evaluation

If you have a foreign diploma, it is possible that your diploma has a different value in the Netherlands. That is why an employer can ask for an international credential evaluation. On the website of the International Credential Evaluation (IDW) you can find more information about this. You can also request an international credential evaluation there.

Prevent exploitation

If you are working in the Netherlands, or if you are going to work in the Netherlands, you have the same rights as Dutch employees. Unfortunately, there are employers and employment agencies that try to exploit refugees. In this flyer, you will find all relevant information to prevent this. For example, about your rights and obligations as an employee, but also about agencies where you can go for advice if you are still searching for or already have a job. The flyer is an initiative of the Red Cross, together with FairWork, the Salvation Army and VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (the Dutch Council for Refugees). The flyer is available in English,Ukrainianand Russian.

The Federation of Dutch Trade Unions (FNV) also has a lot of information about rights and obligations in the Netherlands. The FNV is the largest workers' association in the Netherlands and has created special website about the labor law in the Netherlands. This website is available in Ukrainian.

Quitting your job

Quitting a job can be for a variety of reasons. Perhaps the job does not suit you well or you have found another job. When you quit your job, you do have a notice period. The notice period is the period between the time you say you are quitting your job and the day you are last employed by your employer. In your contract you will find exactly how long your notice period is.

You also have a probationary period when you start a new job. This usually lasts a month. During this period, you and your employer both see if there is a match with your colleagues and with the company. During your probationary period, you can resign at any time without any further consequences. Note that to resign during your probationary period, you must still give written notice of the contract. You and the employer may have made agreements about the length of your notice period. Have those agreements not been made? Then the notice period is one month. If you fail to comply with the notice period, you owe the employer compensation.

Working as a non-Ukrainian refugee

If you do not have Ukrainian citizenship, you are allowed to work in The Netherlands under certain conditions. For example, you must be able to prove that you had a Ukrainian residence permit or Ukrainian recognition as a refugee on Feb. 23, 2022. Also, you must have a proof of recidence in The Netherlands.

Living and working in different EU countries

As a refugee from Ukraine, you cannot work in one EU country if you are registered in another EU country and have temporary protection there. You do have the right to stay visa-free for 90 days in another EU country. More information can be found on this website of the European Commission.

Wage tax deduction

Do you work in salaried employment in the Netherlands? Then you are entitled to a reduction on your taxes. This is called 'loonheffingskorting' (wage tax reduction). You can apply for this reduction with your employer, or via this form of the Belastingdienst. Your employer then pays less taxes, which means you get more salary on your bank account.

Please note: if you work for multiple employers at the same time, you can only claim loonheffingskorting from one employer. Would you like to make use of the loonheffingskorting? Then please indicate this to your employer.

Your loonheffingskorting is calculated based on your income. The maximum amount of loonheffingskorting is €3,399 a year. With an income of € 34,060 or more, the loonheffingskorting becomes progressively lower. How much loonheffingskorting you will receive depends on your salary. On the website of the Belastingdienst you can see how to calculate your loonheffingskorting.

The Dutch working culture

Are you going to work in the Netherlands? Then you will get acquainted with the Dutch work culture. This may be different from what you are used to. The Dutch work culture is generally informal, planned, direct and with a good balance between work and private life. Below you can read what this means:


In many cases, workplaces are informal. It is not strange to ask questions directly to a supervisor or manager, and all opinions are welcome. The Dutch consider equality very important, even between management, supervisors and employees.


Stay with your deadlines and be on time. A deal is a deal: if you make work arrangements, your colleagues and manager expect you to keep them. Don't get your job done after all? Tell them in time. Your colleagues will often help you finish your job on time. Is the workload too heavy? You can tell your supervisor. Together you can look for a solution.


Dutch people are very straightforward. This can come across as blunt or harsh. Yet it is usually not meant unkindly. It is meant to communicate clearly. Sometimes humor is can be used while offering feedback. This is not meant to make fun of you, but to tell you what you are doing well or what could be done better.

Balance between work and private

Dutch people keep their work and private life separate. Outside working hours, people (usually) no longer answer emails or phone calls for work. Unless it's really important. You can discuss this with your supervisor. Furthermore, it is common not to work one day a week. That allows time for yourself or family.

You can read more about the Dutch work culture at deze website. The website is available in English.

Volunteer work

As long as you stay in the Netherlands, you are allowed to do voluntary work. Voluntary work is work you do for others or for society without getting paid for it. Therefore, it does not affect your living allowance.

<Please note:</strong> sometimes it is possible to receive a small compensation for volunteer work. This <u>does</u> affect your living allowance; it can cause it to stop. Please consider this carefully before accepting compensation. For more information on living allowance, visit the <a href="https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/opvang-vluchtelingen-uit-oekraine/ondersteuning-in-nederland/werk-en-inkomen" title="">website of the central government</a>. Would you like to volunteer? Visit the <a href="https://www.nlvoorelkaar.nl/en/hulpvragen/" title="">website of 'Nederland Voor Elkaar'</a>. On this website you can also find information on how to help other refugees from Ukraine. The website is available in Dutch and English.