• Start
  • Shelter
  • This is what you need to arrange if you rent a house
Furnishing a kitchen

This is what you need to arrange if you rent a house

Last updated: 11/15/2023, 8:28 PM
Share this article

If you rent a house in the Netherlands, there are a number of things you need to arrange. Below you will find information about living expenses, insurance, reporting your address to the municipality and rent allowance.

Cost of renting

Keep in mind that renting a property costs more than just the rent. Living in the Netherlands is currently very expensive. Before renting, list your monthly income and expenses carefully. This way, you can avoid unexpected bills and know exactly what you will have left each month. Think about the costs of gas, water and electricity, for example; municipal taxes; insurance; and groceries.

attention: As a refugee from Ukraine, you will receive living allowance when you stay at a reception centre, both in the municipal reception centre and in the private reception centre. If you rent your own independent accommodation, you are no longer entitled to living allowance.

Communicating a change of address to the municipality

You are required to register in the municipality where you will be living. If you have found another house within the municipality in which you already live, you also have to inform the municipality that your address has changed. The municipality will update your details in Dutch population register (BRP).

If you do not have your own residential address where you can register, the municipality must register you at a postal address (mailing address). This is an address where the government can reach someone without a residential address. For example, this can be the address of the town hall. Contact your municipality to find out what the options are.

Insurance for a rental home
Apply for rent allowance
Taking into account high costs
Does this article help you?