Person in wheelchair is helped
Source: Pexels

Care for people with disabilities

Last updated: 4/9/2024, 4:05 PM
Share this article

Here you will find information about care for people with disabilities.

Special healthcare needs

If you or a family member have long-term care needs that require institutional care (for example, a physical disability) and this is not covered by the municipality or a subsidy programme, you may be entitled to long-term care (wlz care) through the Regeling voor Medische zorg aan Asielzoekers (RMA).

Care for people with disabilities

Support for the disabled is provided via the Law Social Support (WMO). Refugees can also apply for this via the WMO-counter of the municipality that they are staying in. Generally, the process looks like this:

  1. Reporting - Report your help and support request to your municipality's WMO-counter. Most municipalities allow you to fill out an online form for the WMO application.

  2. Interview & Research - The municipality will schedule an interview and conduct research into your situation

  3. Recommendation - The municipality will provide a recommendation, detailing the help required.

  4. Agree - You can agree to the decision, after which further steps will be planned.

Another option for support is the general practitioner. You can also contact the organisations listed below.

Medical devices

If you need medical aids for treatment, nursing, rehabilitation or care, they will be reimbursed from the basic health insurance package. Simple walking aids, such as crutches or a rollator, are not reimbursed, neither for Dutch residents nor refugees.

If you need permanent aids, such as a wheelchair, for example because of a disability, you will usually receive these from your municipality. You can contact the Wmo-loket of the municipality you are residing in. You can also buy or rent a walker yourself, for example via the thuiszorgwinkel. On Marktplaats you can also find cheap second-hand wheelchairs or walker.

Does this article help you?