show menu options



This is what you need to arrange if you fall under the Temporary Protection Directive

Last updated: 11/14/2023, 11:47 AM
Share this article

If you have fled Ukraine and fall under the Temporary Protection Directive, among other things, you must then apply for proof of residence and register in a Dutch municipality. Read here what you can arrange yourself.

Step 1: Register in the BRP

You need to register in the Dutch municipality where you live. This is called the Dutch population register (BRP). This is where your personal information is kept so that the Dutch government knows where you live. This registration is possible for anyone who can prove with an identification document that they have Ukrainian citizenship.

Step 2: Apply for proof of residence

You can get proof from the IND that you are allowed to live and work in the Netherlands. This proof is a sticker in your passport or on a loose piece of paper. Sometimes you get a pass (O-document).

Step 3: You get a BSN

After registering with the Dutch population register (BRP) in your municipality, you will automatically receive a Dutch citizen service number (BSN). You will receive this within 4 weeks of registering with the municipality. The BSN is an individual personal number, which you will need if you are going to work, for example. You will also use this number if you want to arrange something with the Dutch government, for example when applying for benefits or health insurance.

Step 4: Apply for a DigiD

Once you have received a BSN, you can request a DigiD. DigiD is a kind of online ID that allows you to arrange things online with the government, for example, if you want to apply for benefits or health insurance.

Does this article help you?

Step-by-step plan

Temporary Protection Directive