• Start
  • Shelter
  • Here is what you can do if you are unhappy with your reception centre

Here is what you can do if you are unhappy with your reception centre

Last updated: 4/9/2024, 3:56 PM
Share this article

If you are dissatisfied with the reception centre where you are staying, you can talk to the municipality or file a complaint.

Dissatisfied with reception centre conditions

You may not like the conditions at a reception centre. Poor conditions include:

  • A reception centre that is not suitable for lodging. It is too cold, dirty or there is little privacy.

  • The quality of food in a reception centre is not good.

  • There is no education for children under 18 years of age.

  • There are too few activities at a reception centre.

In conversation with employees at the location

Are you dissatisfied with your reception centre because of any of the above reasons? Or about something else? Then you can first have a conversation with the location employee of your reception centre. Indicate that you want to talk about the problems at the reception centre.

You can prepare for this conversation. For example, by listing the problems for yourself. If you already know solutions to the problems, you can also list them.

Filing a complaint

Or if the conversation did not improve your stay in the reception centre, you can file a complaint with the municipality about the reception centre. You can file a complaint for several reasons. How you can file a complaint depends on the municipality. Sometimes you will find information on the reception centre about how to reach your municipality.

Demonstrating about the reception centre

If you are dissatisfied with the reception centre, you are also allowed to protest. In the Netherlands, the right to protest is in the Dutch constitution. This falls under freedom of speech, which applies in the Netherlands. Even if you do not yet have a 5-year asylum residence permit, you are entitled to protest.

If you want to protest, these points are important to you:

  • You must tell the municipality that you are going to protest. Do this 48 hours in advance via your municipality's website. This is because the municipality must support your protest. For example, if you need traffic controllers for your protest, the municipality must arrange this for you. If you are going to protest on your own, you do not have to let them know.

  • You do not need a permit to protest, nor do you need government permission.

  • The police may not simply break up your protest. Only the mayor of the municipality can restrict or ban your protest.

  • While you are demonstrating the police should protect you from public.

Does this article help you?