Hotline support
go back

Did you just arrive in the Netherlands and are you wondering how to navigate legal procedures? These resources can help you with topics like asylum procedures, requesting a visa, legal support and assistance in case you wish to return to your country of origin.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, December 14, 2022

If you had to flee from Ukraine because of the Russian invasion, you may fall under Temporary Protection in the Netherlands. That means that special rules apply to you. For example, you do not have to apply for the usual asylum procedure and you can live and work in the Netherlands. If you fall under Temporary Protection, you go through the following steps:

  1. Register in the BRP (Personal Records Database) at your local municipality.

  2. Register IND (Immigration and Naturalization Service)

These special rules apply to the following groups:

  • Ukrainians who left Ukraine on or after 27 November 2021;

  • Ukrainians who can prove that they were already in the Netherlands before 27 November 2021 and not in another EU country;

  • People of other nationalities who, on 23 February 2022, were refugees recognised by Ukraine;

  • People with other nationalities who held a valid, permanent Ukrainian residence permit on 23 February 2022 and who did not: leave Ukraine by 27 November 2021 or returned to the country of origin by 23 February 2022;

  • The partners, minor children and dependent relatives of persons covered by the regulation.

Please note: since 19 July, people of other nationalities who held a valid temporary Ukrainian residence permit on 23 February 2022 are no longer covered by the Temporary Protection Directive..

Validity Temporary Protection

The Dutch government has announced that refugees from Ukraine with a proof of residence from the IND will be allowed to stay in the Netherlands at least until March 4, 2024. This can be extended to a maximum of three years: March 4, 2025. 

For refugees from Ukraine of other nationalities who had a temporary residence permit in Ukraine and registered in the BRP before July 19, 2022, their temporary protection ends on March 4, 2023. For them, a temporary extension of the remigration support is created.

No Temporary Protection

If you are not covered by temporary protection, you have two options:

  • return to country of origin

  • applying for a regular asylum permit

Please note: this only applies if you are not covered by Temporary Protection. You can read more information on the page non-Ukrainian citizenship.

Temporary Protection in another country

You can get Temporary Protection in one European country. This is the country in which you are currently registered. Before you move to another country, you should find out carefully whether you are also covered by Temporary Protection over there. If so, you can move to another country within the European Union and register there so you can get temporary protection there. Before you leave the Netherlands, you must let the municipality where you are staying know that you are leaving. You will then be deregistered from the Dutch municipality.

If you are now covered by temporary protection in another country, you may also get it in the Netherlands. You must fall under the temporary protection rules. It doesn't matter where you are coming from. TheIND will ask you to first stop your claim to temporary protection in the other country, because you cannot use this in two countries at the same time.

Fled from Russia

If you have fled from Russia, you are not entitled to Temporary Protection. This means that the information on RefugeeHelp does not apply to you. Refugees from Russia, who seek asylum in the Netherlands, must do so through the normal asylum procedure in Ter Apel.

More information can be found in this news article.

In doubt whether you might be covered by the Temporary Protection Directive? Then check this page under the heading 'Who is covered by Temporary Protection?'