go back

Welcome to the Netherlands. On this page, you will find information about the topics that are most frequently asked about on RefugeeHelp. This page will be updated monthly with the most relevant topics.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Here you can find more information about renting a place to live in the Netherlands.

Is it possible for me to rent if I fall under the temporary protection?

It is possible to rent a house if you fall under the Directive Temporary Protection, but this is very difficult. The Netherlands has a very tight housing market, which means that rents can be very high, and you may have to wait a long time before you find a place to rent.

What types of rental accommodations are there in the Netherlands?

In the Netherlands, a distinction is made between social housing and private sector housing. Refugees from Ukraine must consider that they can currently only rent a house via the private sector. Private sector housing has no maximum rental price, which means that the prices are usually higher. There is currently no information on renting social housing as a refugee from Ukraine.

There are also some differences within the private housing sector. There are:

  1. Furnished rental properties: a furnished rental property is fully equipped with furniture for each room, towels, lamps and also an (almost) equipped kitchen. You usually don't have to buy almost anything yourself in a furnished rental property.

  2. Semi-furnished rental properties: a semi-furnished rental property is usually cheaper than a furnished rental property and has a fixed floor covering, curtains or blinds, lighting and a kitchen with a fridge, cooker, extractor and an oven and/or microwave.

  3. Unfurnished rental properties: Unfurnished rental properties are usually cheaper than furnished and semi-furnished rental properties. These rental properties are offered for a minimum period of 12 months. An unfurnished rental property has no fixed floor covering, lighting, wallpaper or painted walls and no built-in kitchen. You should therefore take into account extra costs for furnishing your house.

What do I need if I want to rent?

The requirements for renting a freehold apartment may vary by landlord, but the most common requirements are:

  • A valid ID from the country of origin;

  • A minimum of three times the rent in terms of gross income from work;

  • Paying a security deposit of 1 to 3 times the monthly rent.

For more information, check out the website of the Dutch Government.

Finding housing and housing permit

Finding homes to rent in the Netherlands is difficult. For Dutch people as well. There is a lot of demand for reliable housing, but the supply is small. Are you looking for housing? Then pay attention to the following:

  • In Amsterdam, The Hague or Zoetermeer you will likely need a housing permit to rent a house from 1 January 2022 onwards. This is written proof from the municipality that you are allowed to live in a certain residence. This may depend on your income, for example. A municipality can decide for itself for which houses you need a housing permit. Without this permit, it is not possible to rent this property. In this way the municipality ensures that cheaper houses are only rented out to people with a lower income. If you want to rent a house via a housing association, they will arrange the housing permit for you.

  • Facebook and marketplace are not reputable places to find housing. Make sure that the photos of the property match the description, do not pay a deposit until you have seen the property and do not accept anonymous payment methods, such as Western Union, Airbnb and Moneygram. Funda, Pararius, Trovit and Kamernet are reliable websites where you can find (rental) housing.

Please note: You do not need a housing permit in all cases/municipalities. Therefore, always contact the municipality where you want to live first. When you have found housing, you are obligated to register in the municipality where you are going to live. The municipality will amend your details in the BRP.

How do I find a rental property?

You can search for a freehold apartment in the following ways:

  1. Housing corporations: sometimes housing corporations also offer free-sector housing. You do not have to register with the housing association for this. Consult the website of a housing association in your area for the current supply of houses for the private sector.

  2. Estate agents: in some cases, estate agents offer the rental properties of individuals. For more information, check with a real estate agent in your area.

  3. Advertisements: private sector homes are often offered through advertisements in newspapers, on social media or via special websites such as Funda, Pararius, Trovit en Kamernet

When you have found a house, you are obliged to register in the municipality where you are going to live. The municipality will update your details in the BRP.

Rent benefit

Currently there is no specific regulation for Ukrainian refugees to claim rent benefit. Due to the importance of rent benefit for people with a low income, the government will pay advances on rent benefit as of 20 July 2022, pending a change in the law. This means that Ukrainian refugees, entitled under the pending change in law, can still claim rent benefit. Do you want to know whether you are entitled to rent benefit? Please check the website of the Belastingdienst for the specific conditions. Want to apply for a benefit? Consult the website of the Belastingdienst.