go back

On this page you will find information about displaced persons from Ukraine who do not have Ukrainian nationality. It also contains information important for your stay in the Netherlands, regardless of whether you hold Ukrainian nationality.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Friday, October 21, 2022

Are you in need of health care? The following organisations provide health care to refugees in the Netherlands.

Finding a general practitioner

Do you need help finding a GP? Zorgkaart Nederland provides an overview of all general practitioners in the Netherlands. Huisarts voor Vluchtelig (GP for a refugee) maps out which general practitioners have space to help refugees during consultation hours. For more information about times, locations and other questions, please visit the website via the link below.


Arene is an initiative to provide people with remote GP care. This way you don't have to travel to the doctor unnecessarily. If there is an emergency or if a physical examination is required, Arene arranges an appointment with a GP in your neighbourhood. The GP care is covered by the RMO and is automatically declared by Arene. In addition, Arene has a helpline for questions and an app. With this app you can:

  • Make appointments online;

  • Order repeat prescriptions;

  • Ask questions by means of an e-consultation and more.

Arene's website offers both Ukrainian and English translations.

Health care in asylum centers

GZA (Healthcare Refugees) provides medical care for asylum seekers at almost every COA reception center. In addition to the regular office hours on location, asylum seekers can book an appointment via the website with a health care professional, such as a doctor's assistant, nurse or general practitioner.

The flu shot

The flu is a virus that can make you (very) sick. Especially people aged 60 years and older and people with certain conditions (such as diabetes, heart, lung or kidney disease, or reduced resistance) can become seriously ill. That's why general practitioners invite these people each fall for a free flu shot. The flu shot is the best protection against serious complications of the flu. It is safe to get the flu shot and the corona vaccination on the same day or shortly after each other.

You can get the flu shot from your general practitioner. If you belong to the target group for the free flu shot, you will receive an invitation for the flu shot from your GP in October or November. Contact your doctor if you have not received an invitation or if you want more information about the flu shot.

Mobile health care at shelters

Dokters van de Wereld helps people who are excluded from healthcare. Since 7 March 2022 onwards, they drive with the so-called Zorgbus ('Care bus') to various refugee reception locations to provide mobile care. Click on the link for up-to-date information.

Healtcare for children

The JGZ (youth healthcare) is responsible for preventive care for children, including those of refugees. The JGZ provides physical, cognitive and psychosocial screenings and provides vaccinations in accordance with the National Vaccination Programme. It carries out neonatal screenings and monitors the growth, health and development of refugee children up to the age of 18.

Refugees from the Ukraine in the Netherlands can make use of this care free of charge. Please contact the youth healthcare department of the regional GGD or JGZ organisation.

A national overview of JGZ locations can be found on Zorgkaart Nederland.

National Vaccination Programme (JGZ)

For vaccinations against infectious diseases you can make an appointment with the GGD. The vaccinations of the National Vaccination Programme for children are free. These vaccinations can be obtained at the Child Health Care Centre, the GGD or other youth care institutions in your region.

Children in the Netherlands can be vaccinated against diseases such as:

  • Polio

  • Measles; and

  • Rubella

The PDF document shows at what age children are vaccinated and what vaccine they receive

If you and/or your child were vaccinated in Ukraine, you can report this to the regional office of the RIVM.

  • RIVM-DVP North-East (Groningen, Friesland, Drenthe, Overijssel, Flevoland, Gelderland)

(088) 689 8950 or dvpnoordoost.rvp@rivm.nl

  • RIVM-DVP West (Utrecht, Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland)

(088) 689 8930 or dvpwest.rvp@rivm.nl

  • RIVM-DVP South (Noord-Brabant, Limburg, Zeeland)

(088) 689 8940 or dvpzuid.rvp@rivm.nl

Or contact the Municipal Health Service (GGD) in your neighborhood.


Cancer care is reimbursed from the basic health insurance package, covered by the RMO. You will therefore not be faced with unexpected costs.

Medicines for cancer will be reimbursed if they are included in the Drug Reimbursement System (GSV). The Ministry of Public Health determines which medicines are included. Almost all used cancer and tumour medicines are included in the GSV. If in doubt, contact your care provider.

If you have to go to hospital for treatment, such as radiation or chemotherapy, you will be reimbursed for the travel expenses for a car, taxi or public transport from the basic package. If, due to a medical necessity, you can only travel by ambulance, you will also be reimbursed for this.

If your care provider prescribes follow-up care, such as psychological counselling or physiotherapy, you will also be reimbursed for that.

More information about the RMO? Check out the health insurance page.

Physical therapy

For pain symptoms during movement, you can see a physical therapist. Physical therapy is for complaints that have to do with your bones, muscles, nerves and your posture. A physical therapist will work with you to see how you can reduce or eliminate the symptoms. You can do this by doing exercises, among other things. If you want to see a physiotherapist, you need a referral from your General Practitioner. Then you can make an appointment with the physical therapist. You can ask the General Practitioner which physiotherapist is in the neighbourhood. Always ask the physiotherapist whether your treatment will be covered by the RMO.