go back

Do you have questions about travelling within the Netherlands or Europe? On this page you will find information about travelling to the Netherlands, the public transport system within the Netherlands, cars and help with returning to your own country.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Below you can find an overview of the most important information about travelling and transport.

Travelling to & from the Netherlands

It is possible to travel for free or at a reduced rate within Europe and thus also to travel to the Netherlands. There are a number of organisations that can help you travel to the Netherlands. For more information, check the subcategory Tips for travelling to & from the Netherlands.

Travelling within the Netherlands

In the Netherlands, there are a number of possibilities for refugees to travel by public transport. Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you may travel free of charge on NS trains, under certain conditions. From the 1st of June, you may no longer travel free of charge through the Netherlands on other public transport. You must purchase a valid ticket, such as an OV-chipkaart, in order to travel on public transport. Under the subcategory Travelling within the Netherlands you will find more information about this.


It is still unclear whether a temporary return has consequences for your stay in the Netherlands. VluchtelingenWerk (Dutch Council for Refugees) is still advising against return migration because of the unsafe situation in Ukraine. You can find more information under the subcategory Return.


Unfortunately it is not possible to exchange a Ukrainian driving licence for a Dutch driving licence. However, refugees with a Ukrainian driving licence can drive a car in the Netherlands for 185 days. For more information on obtaining a Dutch driving licence, insurances and taxes, you can look at the subcategory Car.

Leaving the Netherlands permanently

If you leave the Netherlands, do not forget to follow these steps:

1. Deregister from the municipality

You are registered with the municipality in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). If you leave the Netherlands, you must deregister from the BRP. You can do this in the municipality where you live. The municipality passes on the deregistration to the IND.

2. Report your departure to the IND

Have you already been deregistered from the BRP? Then you do not have to report it again to the IND. If you have already left and have not done so, you can still do so via the IND. Someone else can also report your departure. This could be a partner, employer or school. Please note: if you do not report your departure you can be fined.

3. Hand in your residence documents to the IND

Before you leave the Netherlands, you must hand in the residence document to the IND. This is because the residence document is the property of the Dutch government.

4. Leave the Netherlands on time

You must leave the Netherlands on time. This means that you have to leave the Netherlands before the expiry date of the residence permit you have now.

More information and documents can be found on the website of the IND.