go back

Did you just arrive in the Netherlands and are you wondering how to navigate legal procedures? These resources can help you with topics like asylum procedures, requesting a visa, legal support and assistance in case you wish to return to your country of origin.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Thursday, August 18, 2022

Here you will find information on how to register in the BRP (Personal Records Database). How to do so depends on your situation:

  • BRP Registration for Ukrainians

  • Registration BRP for refugees with a different nationality

  • BRP registration without documents

What is the BRP (Personal Records Database)?

Your personal data is kept in the BRP (Personal Records Database). You register in the BRP at the municipality where you reside.

BSN (citizen service number)

Everyone who registers for the first time in the BRP is given a citizen service number (BSN). You will need this, for example, if you are going to work. When you start working, you will pass on your BSN to your employer.


Once you have received your BSN, you can apply for a DigiD. With a DigiD, you can show online who you are. You need this if you want to arrange online business with the government. More information about applying for a DigiD can be found on the website of DigiD.

BRP Registration for Ukrainians

It is important that refugees from Ukraine are registered in the BRP (Personal Records Database) at the municipality they reside in, whether you are staying at a shelter or with a host family. This registration is possible for those who can prove with an ID or passport that they are of Ukrainian nationality. Ukrainians without (or with incomplete) documents should first go to the Ukrainian embassy in the Hague (take a look at "Registation without documents" below). It is possible that your municipality has not yet set up a process for the registration of Ukrainians in the BRP, get in touch with your municipality for more information.

For more information on registration in the BRP, you can find information brochures in Ukrainian and English on the website of the Dutch government   

Registration BRP for people with a different nationality

From 19 July 2022 onwards, refugees from Ukraine with another nationality, who had a temporary residence permit in Ukraine, will not be able to register in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). Non-Ukrainian refugees who on 23 February 2022 were refugees recognised by Ukraine or who had a valid permanent residence permit in Ukraine on 23 February 2022 can still register in the BRP.

You can register only if you have identity documents and can prove with documents that you had a residence permit in Ukraine which was still valid on 23 February 2022. If you cannot obtain an identity document, you will be referred to the application centre in Ter Apel.

If it is not clear whether you fall under the Temporary Protection Directive, a mobile team of the IND will carry out a test. The IND is busy setting up locations where this can be determined. This is expected in early August. The IND may then decide that you are covered by the directive. In that case, you can register in the BRP. If the IND decides that you are not covered by the directive, you must return to your country of origin or apply for asylum at the application centre in Ter Apel. In the latter case, the IND will register you at the application centre in Ter Apel.

Registration without documents

Ukrainians without and ID or passport should contact the Ukrainian Embassy in The Hague. The embassy can issue an identifying certificate with which you can register at the municipality. Children from Ukraine without proof of identification can be registered with their parents at the municipality. In the absence of documents, parents can make a statement on oath establishing the identity of the children. The children are then registered by the municipality together with the parents. For frequently asked questions, you can visit this website.

Address: Ukrainian Embassy: Zeestraat 78, 2518 AD The Hague. Open from Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 13:00. Telephone: +31 (70) 360 72 18 Email: emb_nl@mfa.gov.ua.

Doubts about documents

The municipality will check whether you have the right documents. Is there doubt about your documents? Then the municipality will contact the IND. It may be that additional research will be done to make sure who you are and where you come from. In that case you cannot register yet with the municipality. Not even if your family members do have the Ukrainian nationality.

Registering without a residential address

If you do not have a residential address, it is possible to have the municipality register you at a postal address. This is an address where the government can reach someone without a residential address. Since 1 January 2022, the municipality is obligated to register you at a postal address if you yourself do not have such an address. This can be the address of the town hall, for example. Contact your municipality to find out what the possibilities are.

Registration of newborn babies

Within three days after the birth of a child, you have to report this to the municipality. After registration you will receive a birth certificate. Click on the link below for all the information on registering a newborn baby (Dutch and English).