go back

Did you just arrive in the Netherlands and are you wondering how to navigate legal procedures? These resources can help you with topics like asylum procedures, requesting a visa, legal support and assistance in case you wish to return to your country of origin.

Something missing?

Please share what you are missing and we will try to complete the information. Please note: this form is meant for suggestions, not for personal inquiries or requests. You will not receive a reply.
Last updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Some refugees from Ukraine want to (temporarily) return to their homeland. Due to the security situation in Ukraine, The Dutch Council for Refugees cannot advise on this. Please note: in general, the return of a refugee to the country of origin and a relatively safe stay there can be involved in the assessment of an asylum application. When assessing the asylum application of refugees from the Ukraine, a temporary return to the Ukraine plays a role in that assessment.

Flow chart return of Ukrainian refugees

Do you want more information about returning to Ukraine or traveling on to another country within or outside the European Union? The Dutch government has developed a flowchart with all relevant information for your situation. The flowchart is only available in Dutch and mostly meant for municipalities and other organisations involved.

What does the Repatriation and Departure Service do?

The Return & Departure Service (DT&V) will support you when you want to return to Ukraine. This also applies to refugees from Ukraine with a different nationality. This support will consist of information and advice, support in arranging (replacement) travel documents and assistance with transport to Ukraine.

Most often it involves transportation to a neighboring country of Ukraine, such as flights to Warsaw or Krakow in Poland. From there, trains and buses go to Ukraine. Local aid organizations in Poland can help with your transit. DT&V can also help you with the cost of (part of) the trip.

How do I get help from the Repatriation and Departure Service?

Those who want help in returning to Ukraine can make this known using this form from the DT&V. A declaration must be signed in which the refugee declares that he/she will voluntarily leave the Netherlands. Please note: the DT&V does not provide assistance with temporary return to Ukraine. This information is also available in English and Ukrainian. You can also contact the DT&V via info@dtv.minvenj.nl, +31 88 7464466 or +31 70 3181500. For more information, see the website of the DT&V.

Required documents

To return to Ukraine, you need certain documents, which you may need to apply for at the Ukrainian Embassy in the Netherlands. On the website of Visit Ukraine you can find out which documents these are and how you can apply for them.

Deregistration municipality

If you return to Ukraine permanently, you must de-register from the municipality where you live. If you are returning temporarily, please note how long you will be outside the Netherlands. If you stay outside the Netherlands for more than 8 months within a year, you have to de-register from the municipality where you live. These months do not have to be consecutive. If, for example, you are going to live outside the Netherlands for five months twice in a year, you will also have to deregister from the municipality. Please note: The consequences for shelter and obtaining a living allowance vary from one municipality to another. For this, it is best to contact the municipality where you live.

Travel advice Dutch government

At the moment there is a negative travel advice for Ukraine. This means that the Dutch government advises against travelling to the country. Returning to Ukraine is therefore at your own responsibility and risk. The return journey to Ukraine will not be reimbursed.

Leaving the Netherlands permanently

If you leave the Netherlands, do not forget to follow these steps:

1. Deregister from the municipality

You are registered with the municipality in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). If you leave the Netherlands, you must deregister from the BRP. You can do this in the municipality where you live. The municipality passes on the deregistration to the IND.

2. Report your departure to the IND

Have you already been deregistered from the BRP? Then you do not have to report it again to the IND. If you have already left and have not done so, you can still do so via the IND. Someone else can also report your departure. This could be a partner, employer or school. Please note: if you do not report your departure you can be fined.

3. Hand in your residence documents to the IND

Before you leave the Netherlands, you must hand in the residence document to the IND. This is because the residence document is the property of the Dutch government.

4. Leave the Netherlands on time

You must leave the Netherlands on time. This means that you have to leave the Netherlands before the expiry date of the residence permit you have now.

More information and documents can be found on the website of the IND.