Woman walks to airport with luggage
Source: Oleksandr Pidvalnyi

Leaving the Netherlands permanently

Last updated: 4/9/2024, 3:47 PM
Share this article

If you want to return permanently to Ukraine or live in another country, you need to arrange a few things. In this article you can read what you need to do if you want to leave the Netherlands.

You must do this before you leave the Netherlands permanently

1. Deregister from the municipality

If you want to leave the Netherlands, you must deregister from the municipality where you live. Ask for a 'bewijs van uitschrijving' (proof of deregistration). You may need this proof if you want to apply for temporary protection in another country.

The moment you deregister, your

Click here for an additional explanation
Dutch citizen service number
removed from the
Click here for an additional explanation
BRP (Dutch population register)
. You will no longer be entitled to living allowance, a place in a reception centre and benefits to which Ukrainian refugees are entitled. Your child benefit and allowances will automatically stop. The municipality will pass on the deregistration to the IND.

If you have already left and have not deregistered from the BRP, you can still do so via the IND. Someone else may also report your departure to the municipality or IND.

2. Stopping the asylum procedure

While applying for your sticker from the IND, you also signed a form for an asylum procedure. Nothing will be done with your procedure at this time. If you are going to leave the Netherlands permanently, you must indicate to the IND that you do not want to continue with the asylum procedure in the Netherlands. You sign a form from the IND stating that you are leaving voluntarily and that you agree not to receive a residence permit in the Netherlands. You must send this form to the IND yourself. See the link for the form and the address of the IND.

VluchtelingenWerk Nederland can give you advice and help you stop your asylum procedure. Through the following page you can contact a VluchtelingenWerk employee.

3. Check your insurances

If you have taken out insurance in the Netherlands, inform us that you are leaving the Netherlands and cancel the insurance. Sometimes you may have to keep paying the insurance until the end date of that insurance.

4. Stopping your bank account

Contact your bank before you leave. Ask if it is necessary in your situation to cancel your bank account. Some banks require you to cancel your account.

Assistance from the Repatriation & Departure Service for return

If you need help arranging your travel, the Repatriation & Departure Service (DT&V) can help you. DT&V gives advice, helps arrange (replacement) travel documents and can help with transportation to Ukraine. DT&V cannot help if you want to return to Ukraine temporarily. You can request help by filling out a form.

Applying for protection again in the Netherlands

If you have left the Netherlands permanently, it is possible to reapply for protection. You must then report to a registration location.

Does this article help you?